Friday, May 19, 2017

More FM (FUCKING MAGIC)

When I bought the truck a year and a half ago the cruise control and the temp/compass didn't work. After doing research in the repair manual and online discovered both are on the same fuse, which is good. Did some more research and found videos on youtube on how to repair the temp/compass. A common problem is a resister could come loose. The fix is to solder it back together.

The resistors are the little rectangular ones on the bottom right. There are 3 of one value and 2 of another.
When I pulled it apart it looked like the above picture. As I couldn't see any breaks or anything wrong I did a bit of solder on all the resistors on both ends with  my cheap soldering iron I got at Harbor Freight. When I put it back together and plugged it in and turned on the key I said, "Holy Shit it works!!"

 When you press the Select bar there are 3 options, Fahrenheit, Celsius, and Off. I also discovered it gives more info.



While there wasn't any ice, it did snow yesterday before I took these pictures. Fixing this surprised the shit out of me as this is a prime example of FM (Fucking Magic)!! When it comes to electrical shit I usually can figure out when a bulb is burnt out and replace it, which may be the problem with the airbag system. On the airbag system I get a code saying the passenger switch is bad and the usual problem is the bulb is burnt out. Problem is it isn't a simple unplug and replace, it's a special bulb that is soldered in. If I could find a bulb I probably could replace it. Or I could buy one, saw some used ones for about $30 that claim they are guaranteed to work or money back.

As for the cruise control it still doesn't work. In googling about it I've found a variety of things that can cause it to not work. Included burnt out brake lights?? Ran a diagnostic of the cruise and at first couldn't get the diagnostic to work, after fixing the temp/compass the diagnostic worked OK. The cruise still doesn't work. I will do more checks to see if I can figure out what the problem is.

2 comments:

No Anonymous comments,it's not that hard to think of a nom de plume.