|One of the broken motor mounts.|
Last year I broke the motor mounts on my Jeep pickup while trying to pull a stump. Last fall I bought new mounts and started to replace them. What I thought would be a fairly simple job of jacking up the engine a little and replacing the mounts turned into a much bigger job. I got the bottom nuts off with no problem. The upper ones were very difficult to get at, so I thought I'd remove the bracket from the block. One of the bolts was rusted and I couldn't get it to turn. The socket slipped on the bolt and rounded the head. I then used a chisel bit in my rivet gun (or air hammer) to try and get the bolt to break loose and turn. Then water started to come out of the engine. I tried to catch as much as possible in a pan because anti-freeze is expensive.
|The cause of the leak. The freeze plug was rusted and I knocked some rust loose trying to remove the bolt below it.|
Decided to hang it up and moved the Jeep to where it wouldn't be in the way during the winter. Last month I started to work on it again. The weather was much nicer now than last fall, it was snowing then.
|Well, that didn't work.|
|New freeze plug installed.|
|New motor mount in place.|
|The shroud for the heater core got damaged while removing the engine.|