The week before I rotated the tires and in the process discovered that the lugnuts were fucked up. There was a metal shell on the lugnuts and after having the tires replaced several times using impact wrenches the lugnuts were to the point where on several of them I had to drive the socket on the lugnut with a hammer in order to remove it.
This is what the lugnuts looked like when I got them off. They were pretty fucked up.
This is what I did with them. I took the outer shell off the lugnuts. It took some time to remove the outer shell from all of them (the shell had come off a few of them already), but now I have solid nuts to work with. I need a smaller socket to turn the nuts, but at least now I can put the socket on by hand and not have to use a hammer to drive it on. The lug wrench in the trunk is for the lugnuts with the shell on them, so I will need to put something in the trunk to remove the smaller size nuts. They are now 18mm and they were 19mm.
I have a bunch of lugnuts off other vehicles, maybe I'll look and see if I have ones I can use to replace these.
Ford definitely didn't have a better idea with these lugnuts!!