Thursday, March 12, 2015

More Improvements

Made some more improvements to The Guppy. I replaced some handles on some drawers and closet doors.

Original cabinet handle.


The handles on all the cabinet doors and drawers are such that they can catch on stuff. In the tight quarters of the motorhome they would snag on clothing when trying to get by. I replaced some of the handles in the bedroom area as that was the area where it was happening the most.


These are the replacement handles. There is only 16 inches between the bed and the drawers under the closet. We would occasionally get caught on either the handles on the drawers or on the ones on the closet doors. With these replacement handles that should no longer be a problem.

One of the problems I encountered when replacing the handles was the screws were too long. The new handles didn't have as deep a threaded hole as the old ones and some places the screws had indented the wood. Luckily the crimping tool I brought along to work on the wiring of the radio also could be used to cut small screws and bolts. I cut about an eighth of an inch off the screws that were too long. The screws in the drawers were longer than the ones in the package with the new handles, so I had to use the screws from the original handles. What I can't figure out is the screws were just going thru wood into the handles so how the hell did they get bent??

I need to get some more handles to replace the rest of the ones that are low enough to catch on clothing. I think I'll leave the original handles on the upper cabinet doors as they aren't a problem. 

3 comments:

  1. They changed the door knob on the doors..because we're old and helpless they changed from knob to the sideways handle..I get my sweater, shirt and purse caught on the one on outside door every time I go out..pisses me off.

    ReplyDelete

No Anonymous comments,it's not that hard to think of a nom de plume.