Sunday, February 7, 2016

Windows 10 Is Not Ready For Prime Time

A couple weeks ago I took the plunge and upgraded to Windows 10 against the advice of others that had upgraded. Like I said in my previous post on Windows 10 I figured I might as well get used to it now because all confusers from here on out will run that system.

Well, Windows 10 had too many glitches. I had hoped it would help run streaming better when I'm watching TV shows either videos or on occasion something live like football or NASCAR. It didn't, now I'm thinking the problem may be with my internet service. But the worse problems were things like Opera browser would crash a lot. Firefox would have a problem with "script running" and would have to click on the pop-up to kill it. In Windows 7 we had eliminated that!!

Also they had changed the solitaire games, nothing big, just different. Could have lived with that if the fucking games had worked right. Do you know how fucking frustrating it is when the game freezes (for what at times seemed like a minute or two) and you have to wait for it to start again and hope you catch it in time to make the move you have figured out. Or it would start up again for a couple seconds and freeze again before you could make a move!!

Turns out because I had upgraded less than 30 days ago it was easy to go back to Windows 7. All the stuff was still there under the Windows 10 upgrade. Even my score on one of the solitaire games!! In the process of going back it asked why. There were several options to click on and a blank to leave a comment. I clicked on "Windows 7 is more reliable" and left a comment, "When Windows 10 can't even run solitaire games right (freeze), Windows 10 isn't ready for prime time"!!!!!!!

I will keep Windows 7 on this confuser until I need to replace it. Then when I get a new confuser I will have no choice, but may be it will work better when it is the only operating system installed on the confuser. While researching shit about Windows 10 I saw several sites that said the best way to upgrade was to do a "clean install", which means you erase the version you have and then install Windows 10. But if I had done that even if I could have figured out how to do it, I wouldn't have been able to go back to Windows 7 with just a few clicks like I did. It would have meant erasing Windows 10 and then installing Windows 7 from a DVD or something like a flash drive. I did make a recovery disc when I first got this confuser, so I do have Windows 7 on a DVD, but I'm glad I didn't need to go thru all that hassle!!

6 comments:

  1. I've been thinking about upgrading. I might spend some more time thinking before diving in, based on what I've heard from you and others.

    Or I could just wait until it's time for a new computer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still struggling with Windows 8. -do not look forward to 10...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bea...try a free program called CLASSIC SHELL. It converts Windows 8 to behave as Windows 7. In fact, I think they now have a new version for Windows 10, as well. If you liked Windows 7, you'll love this. If you don't, you can always uninstall it. http://www.classicshell.net/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I upgraded from Windows 8 which came with my computer to windows 10 and love it. I bought my desktop for under $400 at Walmart when my laptop with Windows XP would no longer hack it on the web. I have 8 GIGS of Ram and think that may be the reason mine runs well. All the older computers had 4 GIGS and I think all the new programs just require a faster processor of at least 6 GIGS.
    This sounds like I know what I am talking about - I don't. It just seems logical that new programs would require a faster processor.

    the Ol'Buzzard

    ReplyDelete
  5. My wife has been dealing with many accounting clients who have upgraded to win 10. Their experiences (almost all serious issues of one kind or another) has scared us away from the new software. Our computer guy tells us to stay away. As I am hesitant to upgrade no matter what, any excuse to not do it is fine with me.

    ReplyDelete

No Anonymous comments,it's not that hard to think of a nom de plume.