A Cherokee County teenager burned his dinner and then several townhouses Thursday evening. When a pizza in the oven started smoking, the teen took matters into his own hands.
"He took the pizza out and decided to throw it out into the yard," said Tim Cavender with the Cherokee County fire department.
A fire in the grass quickly spread to nearby decks, and gas grills with propane tanks added fuel to the flames, Cavender said.
The incident happened around 5:30 p.m. in the Magnolias at Ridgewalk neighborhood, near Towne Lake Parkway.
No one was injured in the blaze. But when the fire was out, five townhouses had moderate to severe damage, Cavender said.
Both Cherokee County and Woodstock fire fighters responded to the call. Crews remained on the scene during the evening to battle any potential hot spots.
The only entrance to the complex, near Towne Lake Parkway, was blocked temporarily, resident Leslie Reeves told the AJC.
The investigation into the incident continues, Cavender said. It is has not been determined if the teenager will face any charges.
Regardless, there's a valuable lesson to be learned.
"Don't throw hot pizzas out in the backyard," Cavender said.
Again, you can't make this shit up. This is from the AJC.
And what's with the only entrance being blocked, I guess that's one of the perks of living in a gated community!!!
Update: The pizza story, it turns out, was all a big fib, according to Cherokee County fire spokesman Tim Cavender.
"Late last night, the boy confessed to authorities that he was bored and placed mineral spirits on an action figure and set it on fire," Cherokee County fire spokesman Tim Cavender said Friday.
At this time, no charges are being brought against the juvenile male," Woodstock police spokeswoman Brittany Duncan said. "However, police and fire officials are mandating that he attend the ‘Youth Fire Setter Intervention' program in order to educate him on the importance of fire safety."
Never underestimate the stupidity of teenage boys!!