Monday, January 16, 2012

For Those That Like Snow

 There's smoke coming out of the chimney so the place must be warm.  So far this winter we've been nice and warm, usually in the 70s inside occasionally 80 or higher.  The stove is working very well and fairly easy on wood.  So far we've burnt about 3 tier of wood.  This winter will determine how much firewood I'll have to cut for next winter.
Like I said in the previous post, the snowbanks are a lot higher now than in the picture with the Jeep.
This is a large pulley off some belt-driven machinery.  It's a least 3ft in diameter maybe bigger.

Here I am playing in  the snow.  These pictures were taken on the 14th of Jan.  The Old Lady was trying to get a picture of the frost in my beard.

There are many jokes about the seasons UP on the Tundra.  The one I like is this: What do they do UP on the Tundra when it's Summer.  Ans. If it falls on a Saturday, they have a picnic!!

Addendum:  What I call a tier some call a cord, but it is actually a face cord or 1/3 of a cord.  It is a pile 4ft high by 8ft long and 16 inches deep.  Put three of those together and you have a full cord which is 4ftX4ftX8ft.  Unless you are buying a logtruck load of firewood, when they say so much a cord, it is really a face cord or a tier.  So I guess I've burnt a full cord of wood so far.

Maintaining a comfortable temp with a wood-burning stove can be tricky.  Either you freeze or roast unless you can control the burn, usually by regulating the air.  The more air the hotter it burns if you have good dry wood.  Right now it's mid-70s inside and 14 outside, so we are doing OK.

6 comments:

  1. So far we've burnt about 3 tier of wood.

    I have no idea what in the hell a tier of wood is, could you state it in cords?

    About half of our three inches of snow melted today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was told that August in the UP was one week of Spring, two weeks of Summer, and one week of Fall. The 1st day of trout season I about froze my equiptmnt off while in waders on the Escanaba. You know where the Carp empties into Superior by the prison on 41 down from Marquette - Sharon skinny-dipped that - I thought the crazy bitch was going to get hypothermia!
    We had been to The Office and Scarlett O'Hara's in Marquette after supper at Nicholas's.

    We may get a dusting here in Indy tomorrow night - they are planning for the worse during the Superbowl - snowplows are ready...


    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pictures. No snow here yet. I remember our family burning coal and wood for cooking and heating as a kid. I have no clue how to do it to keep warm. Several years back I was in a cabin with a wood stove and we either cooked or froze. How do you keep a nice glow for a long time without going through stacks of wood (I have no idea about tiers or cords)?
    Seems to me that this kind of knowledge may be important to all of us some day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh wow..that's so cool...but have to admit..glad it's you and not me out there in that snow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I was in high school my dad bought a house that had a wood burning stove, and we used it as our sole source of heat. It got very cold around 3 a.m. if Dad didn't get up during the night to re-stock the stove and keep it burning. Fortunately, we were in Virginia, so it rarely got as cold as 14 outside... and we rarely had so much snow, either, so it wasn't hard to carry in the wood!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You got more snow than we do up here in western Maine. The snowmobilers and the two ski mountains in this area are lamenting the lack of snow. We have about four inches on the ground and two days of "flurries" coming up. It may be enough break out the snow blower but I don't expect any amount to stand. Temps this morning are four below but in the house it is 78 - with a wood stove it is feast of famine - like you said.
    I know: what do people of the north talk about in the winter? The weather and firewood.
    stay warm:
    the Ol"Buzzard

    ReplyDelete

No Anonymous comments,it's not that hard to think of a nom de plume.